What's better than fresh fruit for snack? Performing an investigation first! Use this free Kiwi Investigation set as a guide for your exploration.
*Allow the child to assist as much as safely possible.
1. Before you begin, consider reading a book about fruit (you can find book suggestions at the bottom of the page).
After reading the book ask students what type of fruit is their favorite. After listening and responding to their answers, ask if any of them have ever tried a kiwi. If anyone says they have, ask them to describe what a kiwi looks and tastes like.
2. Invite children to draw a picture of what they think the inside of the fruit looks like on page 6, before the dissection.
3. Use the fruit anatomy posters to discuss the parts of the fruit.
Questions to ask:
4. Conduct the dissection of the fruit by slicing it in half.
5. Encourage them to safely explore the fruit using their senses.
6. Use the sorting mat on page 7 to have the children sort the different parts of the fruit.
7. After investigating the fruit, invite children to record their findings on the fruit recording sheet.
8. Invite children to share their recording sheet with their friends and family!
Early Learning Standards:
Log in to download your products for free!
Not a member? Learn more about how you can join here!
Download this in our store for free!
Did you try it?
Did you set up a fruit investigation? I'd love to see it! Join our FB group to share!
What can I help you find?
50+ free sample Preschool Lesson Plans when you subscribe!
Share your photos on our site!