Farm Lesson Planning Page
Color Mixing to make Brown
This is a fun way to explore mixing colors and the resulting paint can be used as mud for making tracks using little tractors or use toy pigs to create pig tracks.
See our tutorial for making brown using primary colors.
Old McDonald Had a Band
Then set up an invitation to create the song using instruments you have on hand.
Change up the lyrics to match the instruments you have, each child can play a different instrument or take turns with instruments.
Paint with Hay
Create with Yarn
Set up a simple invitation with a variety of yarn, scissors, and glue. Children can practice their cutting skills and glue the yarn to paper to make designs.
The book Farmer Brown Shears his Sheep by Teri Sloat is a fun rhyming book that shows how yarn is made from wool.
She invited her kids to create the wings and feet using their handprints.
Upcycle to Create a Farm
More Art and Creativity Ideas
Include a home for the animals on the farm such as a Barn, Stable or Chicken Coop.
Farm Dramatic Play Ideas
Farmers Market Dramatic Play
Add a Market Stand, a Garden for Picking Fruits, and Vegetables. Add baskets, a cash register, and signs. Use the Pre-K Printable Fun Farmers Market Stand to create one with ease.
*Chicken and Eggs Letter Matching
Farm 3-Part Cards
Make Animal Sounds
Farm Animal Beginning Sounds
Read Aloud Activity
My big farm book by Roger Priddy
Mrs. Wishy Washy's Farm by Joy Cowley and Elizabeth Fuller
Night Night Farm by Roger Priddy
Farm animals-World of Farming by Nancy Dickmann
Make Homemade Butter
More Science and Discovery Ideas
Harvest Dough from Sun Hats & Wellie Boots
Farm Sensory Table from Preschool Play
Why do Chickens Lay Eggs?
*Down on the Farm Positional Phrases
Read the sentence and then follow the directions using the included printable pieces.
Farm Animal Sorting
Some other ideas: where they live on the farm, what they eat, how many legs, color, and hair/fur.
Farm Slide and Find
Slide the animal strip to match the number on the barn, children working on beginning sounds can then review the word at the bottom of the barn.
More Math Ideas
Block Play, Construction, and Small World Play
Small World Farm Play
Cow Bell Toss
Farm Chore Obstacle Course
Provide a space where there is plenty of open room to move and safe for this activity.
Have children take turns being the wheelbarrow and the farmer. Before the activity be sure to talk about safety with this experience. Wheelbarrows need to know that their farmers will go at a slow pace to keep them safe. Farmers need to pay attention to their wheelbarrows to make sure they don't tip and keep going in the right direction.
Farm Field Trip
Farm to Table
There are so many community workers to talk about when discussing food from farm to table.
Farmers rely on many different people to make the farm work efficiently. Explore how a farm operates to spark a discussion of teamwork, setting up a Farm Chores Obstacle Course would be a great activity to compliment this discussion.
During your activities make connections to the classroom or family. Just like a farm it takes a whole team of people to make a classroom or family work well. Encourage children to think about what they can do to contribute to their family and classrooms.
I Am Helpful Class Book
This is a good time to talk to children about how they are helpful. Community Member Sheena W. shared these photos of the binder she created for showcasing ways the children in her program are helpful.
Fun Farm Snack
Classic Farm Songs
Flip through your Class Book of Songs, Fingerplays, and Rhymes to recall some of these songs and discover new ones to share as well.
Tractor Rolling Game
Roll the playing cube, then move the tractor that matches the color rolled on the cube...but be careful you don't get stuck in the mud!
10 Little Horses
Encourage families to send in photos of experiences at a farm.
Set up a pretend farm for families to explore with their students. Set up stations where they can pretend to do Farm Chores along with other fun activities families can engage in with their children.
Farm Activity Pack
Join my Pre-K printables club for easy access to my library of printable products! Find out more here!
This 61-page printable Farm activity pack includes the following 18-preschool activities:
- Pig shape clip cards
- Hay & Barn Color matching activity
- Tractor & Rolling Game
- Pre-Writing/Color matching activities
- Chicken & Egg Uppercase/Lowercase Letter matching file folder
- Count & Clip Cards
- Farm Puzzles
- Animals on the farm counting mats 1-10 without frames
- Animals on the farm counting mats 1-10 with frames
- Stacking Hay counting mat 1-20
- Patterning Activity
- Sorting activity
- Farm first sound clip cards
- Mother & Baby Farm Animal Matching Cards
- Farm 3-part cards
- Tractor Match Up
- On the Farm positional phrases
- Farm slide and find cards
Also Included: TOS, Graphics Credit, Contact information
You Might Also Like:
Farm Chores Obstacle Course Activity
Use this set during your Farm Theme to explore Farm Chores while working on physical development!
This printable pack includes a farm chores checklist. a farm chores poster, and farm chore cards-all featuring real photo images!
Inside this pack you will also find a list of suggestions for creating your farm chores obstacle course.
The 16 farm chores included with this pack are:
Milk the cows
Feed the horses
Feed the chickens
Feed the pigs
Buck the hay
Brush the goats
Pick the vegetables
Sweep out the barn
Plow the fields
Water the garden
Shear the sheep
Bathe the dog
Cut the flowers
This pack also includes TOS, Graphics Credit and Directions
Farmers Market Printable Dramatic Play Pack
Do your children love to visit the Farmers Market? This 56 page printable Farmers Market Dramatic Play set includes all of the signs and props you'll need to create a Farmers Market in your space.
This pack includes a variety of signs and printable accessories to transform your space into a Farmers Market.
Inside you will find:
- Welcome to the Farmers Market (full page sign)
- The Farmers Market is Open/Closed
- Around the Market Poster (featuring real Farmers Market Images)
- Farm Fresh Eggs Sign (1/2 page & Full page)
- Raw Local Honey Sign (1/2 page & Full page)
- Fresh Cut Flowers Sign (1/2 page & Full Page)
- Fresh Local Produce Sign (1/2 page & Full Page)
- Support Local Farmers (Full Page) sign
- Produce Labels featuring real photos: Apples, Pumpkins, Eggs, Cucumbers, Corn, Grapes. Melon, Celery, Lettuce, Potatoes, Peppers, Squash, Pears, Berries, Tomatoes, Flowers, Jam, Honey, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peas, Onion, Garlic, Peaches, Lemons, Oranges. Eggplant, Bananas, Green Beans, Asparagus, Artichokes. Mushrooms, Limes, Cabbage, Cherries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Zucchini, and Leeks
- Price Labels (Pre-made + blank ones)
- Honey & Jam Labels
- Market Stand Item Labels
- When I work at the market jobs sign
- When I visit the market jobs sign
- Job Assignment Headbands & Cards
- Fold and Color Farmers Market Mini Book
- Farmers Market Bunting Sign
- Farmers Market Shopping List (Premade and blank)
- Printable Scale
- Blank Editable Labels
This pack also includes TOS, Directions, Graphics Credit and Suggested items to add to this theme