This post contains affiliate links (What's that?)
We are reaching the last few days of summer, but you should still have some nice days left to enjoy a picnic with your preschooler! One of my favorite picnic stories isThe Bear's Picnic, by Stan and Jan Berenstain. In this delightful story the Bear's go on an adventure to find just the perfect picnic spot.
To compliment this Berenstain Bears classic story, (and your picnic lesson plans!) I've created this free printable picnic blanket weaving craft template.
Paper weaving is a great hands on paper craft to build fine motor skills, and is also a fun way to explore patterns!
To complete this craft you will need
1. Cut out the picnic blanket weaving base mat and the weaving strips.
2. Cut the dashed lines the on the picnic blanket weaving mat.
3. Cut the dashed lines on the weaving strips.
4. Weave the red weaving strips on the weaving base mat.
5. Once complete, flip over the weaving base mat to secure the last strip to the back of the mat with tape. Cut off the excess paper and color the picnic image.
Optional: Add fingerprint ants or cut out picnic food and paste it to the mat.
Hole punch and hang.
Extend this Activity
•Ask your child if they recognize a pattern in the picnic blanket.
•Show your child examples of other things that are woven such as baskets or textiles.
•Practice weaving with other materials such as ribbon or yarn.
•Let your child complete this project using different sizes/colors of scrap paper to add their own creative flair to this project.
Download this Freebie
Head over to my shop to download this Picnic Blanket Weaving Craft for free.
You might also like:
What can I help you find?
50+ free sample Preschool Lesson Plans when you subscribe!
Share your photos on our site!